Electronically File Your 1099s
Before you can do this, make sure you have set up an account.
- On the Transactions tab, click .
- Click the E-File Tax Forms tab.
- If you use Payroll, select the employer whose 1099s you want to file.
- Enter your EIN. If you use Payroll, this information is already entered for you.
- Determine whether you need to file 1099-MISC or 1099-NEC, and select the appropriate option.
- We recommend testing totals before filing. Beside 1099 E-File, click Run Yearly Test Totals.
- Click 1099 E-File.
- Select the 1099 information you want to file.
- Only Print Those Making More than or Equal to—Select to upload only vendors or employees making more than or equal to a certain amount, then enter the amount.
- Include Vendors with Payer Name...—Select to upload vendor 1099s for e-filing. This option only displays for Payroll users.
- Include Employees with Payer Name...—Select to upload employee 1099s for e-filing. This option only displays for Payroll users.
- Include State Amounts—Select if you want to include state tax information for vendors and contract employees.
- Include Check for Valid State IDs—Enter your state ID number. This option only displays for non-Payroll users.
- Click Save.
- The Report wizard displays. If you want to preview or print your 1099s before e-filing, click Preview Report or Print Now.
- Once you exit the report wizard, you can continue the e-filing process by clicking Yes. A webpage loads in your Internet browser.
- A list of 1099 vendors and/or employees displays. By default, the 1099 is selected for e-filing. If you do not want to file a particular 1099, clear the checkbox.
- Under Services, select a filing option. If you are unsure which option to select, click the question mark icon.
- To pay to e-file the 1099s, click Add to Cart. All selected 1099s are added to your cart. If you need to e-file multiple forms, you can wait until all items are in your cart before paying.Note: At any point, in Ledger/Payroll, click Launch the Dashboard to view forms you have started but not yet submitted to the IRS.
- Review the items in your cart. At this point, you can view reports of the information you are about to file. Do this to double-check names, amounts, and other information. Click Reconciliation Report or Summary Report.
- Click Next, enter your payment information, and click Next.
- Select to accept the terms, and click Confirm & Submit.
Once you confirm and submit your payment information, the form is e-filed with the IRS.