Electronically File 941 or 944 Forms
Before you can do this, make sure you have set up an account.
If you use Payroll, you can electronically file a copy of your 941/944 form to the IRS.
- On the Transactions tab, click .
- On the E-File Tax Forms tab, select the employer whose 941/944 form you want to file, and select whether you want to file the 941 or 944 form.
- Enter your EIN. If you have Payroll installed, this information is already entered for you.Tip: To double-check the information you are about to file, click Print 941 Federal Quarterly Listing Report. We also recommend testing totals by clicking Run Quarterly Test Totals.
- Click 941/944 E-File, and enter or select the appropriate field information.Tip: Click Worksheet 1 to display the calculated fields from Form 941 (1a, 1b, 2a, and 2e) and open the IRS worksheet. Print and fill in the information as needed for your records.
- Under Responsible Party, enter your Signature/PIN from IRS. If you don't have a PIN, click Need a PIN#? for instructions on how to request one.
- Click Save.
- A webpage loads in your Internet browser. Notice that the form displays in red. You cannot add the item to your cart until you enter your PIN and view/edit the form. Click Edit.
- If you did not enter a Signature/PIN from IRS in the 941/944 E-File window, you must enter your PIN before you can continue.
- If you do not have a PIN, click I need a PIN, enter your information, and click Send PIN Application.
- If you have already received your PIN, click I'm an Employer with a PIN, enter your Signature Information, then click Continue.
- If you are a reporting agent, click I'm a Reporting Agent, enter your information, then click Continue.
- Select the period for which you are filing, then click Continue.
- Review the information on the form, then click Finish.
- To pay to e-file the form, make sure the form is selected, then click Add to Cart. If you need to file multiple forms, you can wait until all items are in your cart before paying.Note: At any point, in Ledger/Payroll, click Launch the Dashboard to view forms you have started but not yet submitted to the IRS.
- Review the items in your cart. At this point, you can view reports of what you're about to file. Do this to double-check figures. Click Reconciliation Report or Summary Report.
- Click Next, enter your payment information, and click Next.
- Select to accept the terms, and click Confirm & Submit.
Once you confirm and submit your payment information, the form is e-filed with the IRS.