Export W-2 Information Electronically
You can file your taxes online through the Social Security Administration (SSA) website.
- On the Payroll tab, click .
- Under Employee Reports, click Listing Reports to expand the list.
- Select Electronic W-2 Export, and click Next.
- In the Overview window, click Next.
- Under Export Properties, enter a location to save the export file to.
- In the File Format drop-down list, select the W-2 format for the year for which you are filing. Click Next.
- In the W-2 Information window, enter and select the correct employer information.
- Employer—Select the employer whose tax information you want to file. The program only calculates the wages for the employees that were paid by the selected employer.
- Employer ID Number—Enter the federal tax ID of the employer, which is issued by the SSA.
- User ID—Enter the employer's User ID, formerly the Personal Identification Number (PIN). This field acts as your electronic signature.
- Contact Name—Enter the name of the person at your organization who should be contacted if the SSA has questions about the file.
- State Numeric Code—Select the state for which the selected employer files taxes.
- Employment Code—Select the form you use to file taxes for this employer.
- Click Next.
- Make the appropriate selections.
- When you finish, click Build. The export file saves to the location you selected. To file the form, see the SSA Help on Business Services Online.