Import Family Information
Before you import family information, make sure your file contains a value that differentiates records from one another. We call this a "family key." For example, if your previous program assigned a number to each family, that value can be used as the family key. If you're also going to import member information, the family key must be the value that links the member record to its family record in your PDS Office program.
How this process works: Once you identify the .csv file, you will match the values in that file with your PDS Office program fields. There are a few required fields, but other than that, you only have to enter information for the data you want to import into your program. No data is imported until you click Begin Import on the final tab. Your selections are automatically saved on each tab, so you can come back to this process at another time if needed.
You can use the Import Family Information process to import existing family data from a .csv file into your PDS Office program.
- On the File menu, click .
- The backup dialog box displays if you haven't performed a daily backup.CAUTION: This process alters data. We recommend backing up your data before proceeding.
- The Import Family Information dialog box displays. On the File Information tab, click Browse to locate the .csv file. After you select a file and click Open, your data displays.Note: We strongly recommend that you include field names/headers so it's easier to select the corresponding value from the drop-down lists on other tabs.
- On each tab, select the appropriate values from the drop-down lists. For example, if the first column of your table is labeled "Fam Number" and you want that value to be the family key, then in the Family Key drop-down list, select Fam Number. For more information about fields on these tabs, refer to the related topic "Family Import Field Information".Note: If you have existing information in PDS and want to update or override that information with the data in your .csv file, select Advanced Options / Update Existing Information at the top, then adjust the settings on the Key/Env/ID Number and Keywords/Remarks tabs.
- On the final tab, review your information from the file. If needed, you can edit any information in the grid to import into the PDS records. When you're ready to import these records, click Finish.