Electronically Filing Form W-2 at Year-End
You can file Form W-2 electronically.
On the W-2 tab, you can electronically file Form W-2, which reports employee wages and withholdings. As an employer, you must complete Form W-2 for any employee you pay a salary, wage, or other compensation to. If you electronically file the form, you can have recipient copies printed and mailed for you.
To include the entire year of earnings on Form W-2, file it after processing December's last payroll. You should also make any corrections to employee paychecks, including voiding and reissuing checks (if necessary) before filing. Be sure to date any reissued checks so that they affect the W-2 for the correct year. If you need to adjust or correct W-2 totals, do this in Add/Edit W-2 Totals in Utilities.
Before electronically filing Form W-2, select the employees you want to file the form for, the year, and your Tax ID information. If you are electronically filing tax forms for multiple states, you must create and transmit a separate file for each state.
- Under Generate Reports, click the Period End Reports tab.
- In the drop-down list, select Payroll 941, W-2s, and ACA Forms, and click Go .
- Select the Year.
- Verify your organization's Federal Tax ID and State Tax ID numbers. If necessary, enter them.
- To electronically file one state's W-2s, enter the State Tax ID.
- To electronically file multiple state W-2s, select Multiple States, then click Tax IDs to enter or select those state tax IDs.
- Optional: To file Form W-2 by department, select Department, and click Select.
- Under Employee Name Range, use the From and Tofields to select which W-2s to file.
- To file for one employee, enter the employee's name in both the From and To fields.
- To file beginning with a specific employee, enter the employee's name in the From field and leave the To field blank.
- To file for a range of employees, enter the first name in the From field and the last name in the To field.
- To file for all employees, leave both the From and the To fields blank.
- Click Tax E-File. If you have not created an account, you must create one now.
- In the ACS Tax E-File window, click Validation Report. The W-2 Validation report lists the information that will be sent to the IRS.
- When the Validation Report displays, click Print.
- If you need to make any corrections after reviewing the validation report, do so, then generate Form W-2 again before clicking Transmit File. After transmitting the file, you cannot correct any errors.
- In the ACS Tax E-File window, click Transmit File. If any errors, such as missing information, are found, they display so you can correct them and resubmit the file.
- After transmitting your file with no errors, the E-filing Dashboard displays in a web browser. You can then select the forms you want to file, view subtotals, and check out.