Sending the W-2 Extract File at Year-End
You can send the W-2 Extract file once its complete.
After creating your W-2 Extract file, making any changes, and printing the proof list, you can send the W-2 Extract file to the Social Security Administration.
Before you save and send your file, note the following:
- The Social Security Administration accepts W-2 information electronically.
- Make sure that you use the default file name, W2REPORT. The Social Security Administration does not accept other file names.
- No compressed files are allowed.
- Under Generate Reports, click the Reports tab.
- In the drop-down list, select Payroll 941, W-2s, and ACA Forms, then click Go .
- Click on the W-2 Extract tab.
- To send a file for one state's W-2s, enter the State Tax ID.
- To send a file for multiple states' W-2s, select Multiple States, then click Tax IDs to enter or select those state tax IDs.
- Select Create Extract File, then click OK.
- In the W2 Extract Location window, enter the location where you want to save the extract file.
- Click Open, then OK.