Sending the W-2 Extract File at Year-End

You can send the W-2 Extract file once its complete.

After creating your W-2 Extract file, making any changes, and printing the proof list, you can send the W-2 Extract file to the Social Security Administration.

Before you save and send your file, note the following:

  • The Social Security Administration accepts W-2 information electronically.
  • Make sure that you use the default file name, W2REPORT. The Social Security Administration does not accept other file names.
  • No compressed files are allowed.
  1. Under Generate Reports, click the Reports tab.
  2. In the drop-down list, select Payroll 941, W-2s, and ACA Forms, then click Go .
  3. Click on the W-2 Extract tab.
  4. To send a file for one state's W-2s, enter the State Tax ID.
  5. To send a file for multiple states' W-2s, select Multiple States, then click Tax IDs to enter or select those state tax IDs.
  6. Select Create Extract File, then click OK.
  7. In the W2 Extract Location window, enter the location where you want to save the extract file.
  8. Click Open, then OK.