Contribution and Tax Statement Field Descriptions
Detailed information that could be helpful while you set up contribution or tax statements.
Step 1— Set Details
- Statement types
- Detailed Statements include tax-deductible gifts.
- Summary Statements include a summary total of gifts organized by fund.
- Tax Statements include the total received, total value of advantage and total eligible contribution amount. (Canada only)
- Statement inclusions
- Cover Letter includes a detailed description of the statement a contributor is receiving.
- Fund Summary includes fund summary for the contributors' detailed tax statements.
- Pledge Information includes pledge information about the contributors' detailed tax statements.
- Include Forgiven includes forgiven pledges to display contributors' balances in their detailed tax statements.
- Memos includes contributor memos in detailed tax statements.
- Nondeductible Gifts includes nondeductible gifts in detailed tax statements. Nondeductible gifts will display under the Summary heading in the Gifts for Item of Value column. The total in the Amount column is the deductible amount that contributors will report to the IRS.
- Location Issued is a revenue agency requirement and reflects the place or location where the receipt was issued. Visit the Canada Revenue Agency website for more information. (Canada only)
- Starting Receipt Number displays at the top of each statement. These are automatically sequenced for each run. For instance, if you enter "1000" and print 200 statements, the first statement will be numbered "1000", the second "1001", and so on. The next time you open this window, "1201" will display in the field by default. (Canada only)
- Financial Admin Signature is a JPG, PNG, or GIF file of a signature to display at the bottom of each statement. (Canada only)
- Select specific funds
- Statements will only be included for individuals who contributed to the selected fund(s).
- Only include contributors whose gifts meet IRS requirements (US only)
- Have given single contributions of $250 or more
- Have non-cash gifts
- Have given items of value in excess of $75
- Apply a custom query
- Narrow down who receives statements even further by applying custom queries to your run.
- Include only statements greater than
Use without Filter by to include statements from people with total giving to all funds over a certain amount.
Use in combination with Filter by to create giving statements only for people who contributed over a certain amount to a particular fund or set of funds.
Step 2— Customize Messaging
- Customization Tags
- Drag and drop any customization tag into your messages to add auto-generated text, customized for each statement.
- first-name— The contributor's first name will replace this tag on their statement.
- recipient-name— The contributor's first and last name will replace this tag on their statement.
- total-given— The contributor's total gift amount will replace this tag.
- Use a Previously Sent...
- This saves five previously-sent cover letters and five previously-sent messages. Click this if a cover letter or message from previous statements would be perfect for your current ones.
Step 3— Preview and Send
- Reply to Email
- Edit this email address if you want statement recipients to reply to someone other than the church's default address.
- Sort order
- Last Name (A-Z)— Organize your statement output by last name.
- Postal Code— Organize your statement output by postal code.
- Preview (first 10)
- Preview your first 10 statements to ensure they're correct before you send or export.
- Statement Output
- Export All to PDF exports all giving statements as a PDF so you can print and mail them to contributors.
- Send Emails sends an email with a link to their giving statement. If a contributor does not have an email address, a PDF is exported of their giving statement that you can print and mail.
- Export all to CSV exports all giving statements as a CSV. Submit this CSV to our Fulfillment Services team, so they can stuff and mail your statements for you.
- Create a List of Records in Constant Contact for Emailing sends a statement link via email through Constant Contact to any contributor with an available email address. If an email address isn't available or is a duplicate, you can print PDFs of those statements or email them through Realm.
- Choose a Constant Contact account:— If you only have one Constant Contact account integrated with Realm, you do not have to choose. Otherwise, select the account you want to use.
- New List Name— This is the title of your recipient list. For example, you could call it Contribution Statements for [Year].
- Giving Link— Map this custom field to Constant Contact, so it matches the field in Realm. By mapping this field, it automatically displays the correct information when you send an email to your contributors when you use this field in your message. Use this field name as the dynamic variable that you insert into Constant Contact email.
- Recipient Name— Map this as you would your giving link. This field displays a contributor's full name in a customized statement email. If giving is shared between two contributors, both of their full names display when you use this field in a customized statement email.
- First Name— Map this as you would your giving link and recipient link. If giving is shared between two contributors, both of their names display when you use this field in a customized statement email.
For tax and accounting reasons, you must keep a record of contributions. Giving statements are available for 6 months after they are generated. When that time expires, you'll need to generate new statements.