View Basic Account Information
You can view basic information about an account. On the Other Information tab, click Use the navigation buttons at the top to locate the account you want to view, or double-click the account in the COA Explorer. .
- Beginning Balance
When you add a new account, you can enter a beginning balance by double-clicking the account in the grid. Beginning balances only apply to detail level accounts that are assets or liabilities.
- Account Number
Enter a unique account number.
- Alt. Number
Enter an optional alternate account number. You can set up alternate numbers in the Initial Setup window.
- Account Name
Enter an account name to display on transactions and reports.
- Select if the account is no longer active. Inactive accounts display in red in the Chart of Accounts windows, including the listing screen. Selecting this option does not make the account's transactions inactive.Note: When you mark an account inactive, the program first checks that the following are not affected: actuals, budgets, transactions, subtransactions, automatic distributions, bank accounts, direct deposit information, cash account of batches, group lists, recurring JE setup, employee QTD/YTD totals, state/local taxes, employer JE setup, W-2 Box 14, master paychecks, and checks waiting to be paid.
- Account Type
Click the ellipsis to select an account type.
- Total Level
Enter a number to determine which accounts are totaled together. Depending on the type of account, this field does not always display.
- Balance Sheet Column
For balance sheet accounts, enter the number of the column – either 1, 2, or 3 – so that the account prints on the Statement of Financial Position. Depending on the type of account, this field does not always display.
- Master Account
For detail accounts, select to indicate if this is the master account. This field only displays if you set up master/subaccounting in the Initial Setup window.
- Sub Account
For detail accounts, select to indicate if this is a subaccount. This field only displays if you set up master/subaccounting in the Initial Setup window.
- New Page After
Select to print the next account on a new page in a report.
- Retained Earnings Account
This field only displays for income or expense accounts when you set up to allow multiple retained earnings and prior year fund balances in the Initial Setup window.
- 1099 Box
This field only displays for vendor accounts. Select which amount should print on the vendor's 1099. The default value (and in previous program versions) is Nonemployee Compensation. If needed, you can enter the breakdown of totals in the Alter Totals window of the vendor's record.
Account type categories are Asset, Liability/Equity, Special Equity, Income, Expense, and Net. For descriptions of these, see The Chart of Accounts.
- Cash (under Asset Accounts)—A special type of detail asset account used to pay invoices or paychecks.
- Prior Year Fund Balance (under Special Equity Accounts)—A special type of equity account, this account represents the accumulated retained earnings from previous years. At the end of each fiscal year, the retained earnings balance is added to the prior year fund balance account. Each chart of accounts must have a prior year fund balance.
- Retained Earnings (under Special Equity Accounts)—A special type of equity, this account is equal to the net profit or loss account. Each Chart of Accounts must have one item for retained earnings.Note: To set up multiple retained earnings and prior year fund balance accounts, you must enable the feature in the Initial Setup window.
- Net Profit or Loss (under Net)—Represents the difference between the income and expense accounts. Each chart of accounts must have a net profit or loss account and it must be the last account numerically and have the highest account level, unless you also have a Sum of Nets account.
- Sum of Nets (under Net)—Totals all Net Profit/Loss accounts. If you want to use this account type, it must be the last account numerically and have the highest account level.Note: To use the Sum of Nets account type, you must enable the feature in the Initial Setup window.
- Detail accounts – 1 (lowest level)
- Major Subtotals – 8
- Total Assets
- Total Liabilities/Equity
- Total Income
- Total Expense
- Net Profit/Loss Account – 99 (highest level)
Use other levels to create various subtotals.
|Account||Account Type||Total Level|
|3010 Church Phone Expense||Detail||1|
|3020 Misc. Phone Expense||Detail||1|
|3029 Total Phone Expenses||Total||2|
|3035 Church Utilities Expense||Detail||1|
|3045 Misc. Utilities Expense||Detail||1|
|3049 Total Utilities Expense||Total||2|
|3050 Total All Expense||Total||3|