Renumbering the Chart of Accounts at Year-End
You can renumber the chart of accounts after closing the year in General Ledger.
The best time to create a new chart of accounts or renumber accounts is after closing the year in General Ledger. It's easy to remember the date you created or renumbered the accounts, and your revenue and expense account balances are zero, which means you have fewer balances to enter.
Before renumbering your accounts, you should archive your financial data. This gives you an exact copy of your dataset before making changes. You can still make entries to the archived dataset and print any needed reports.
When renumbering accounts, you can change the format of the account. In ACS, an account format change is called the account mask. Here are the variables that you can use (in any order) in your account numbers.
- # — numeric characters
- ? — alphabetic characters
- & — alphabetic characters in forced upper case
- ~ — alphabetic characters in forced lower case
- @ — any character
- ! — any character in forced upper case
- any other character is literal (for example, * displays and prints as *)
After renumbering your chart of accounts, it's a good idea to print the Chart of Accounts report to verify your entries. You can correct entries if you need to.
Changing the Account Mask and Renumber Your Accounts
- Under Advanced Tools, click the Settings tab.
- Select General Ledger in the drop-down list, and click Go .
- Click the Account Setup tab.
- Click Update.
- Enter the account number format and click Next.
- As ACS highlights each account, enter the new account number and press ENTER.
- Repeat step #6 until all account numbers are updated, then click Finish.
Printing the Chart of Accounts - List Only
- Under Manage Records, click the Chart of Accounts tab.
- In the drop-down list, select Add/Edit Chart of Accounts, and click Go .
- On the Chart of Accounts tab, click Print.
- When the report displays, click Print Report .
Correcting an Account Number
- Under Manage Records, select the Chart of Accounts tab.
- In the drop-down list, select Add/Edit Chart of Accounts and click Go .
- Select the account that you want to edit and click Edit Account.
- Make your changes (you can edit any of the account fields), then click OK.