Verify Bulk Mailing Addresses
To use the service, you must purchase a registration code and a monthly subscription by calling 1-800-892-5202. Find out more about PDS CASS It!.
- On the File menu, click .
- Review the introduction, then click Next to begin.
- Select an option for checking the addresses.
- If you're checking only selected families, add conditions to filter records you want to include in your certification.Note:
For help with conditions, see the Additional Selections section in the topic, Report Selections.
- Select to include active, inactive, or all families, and click Next.
- Select any additional options you want to perform.
- NCOA - Optional - Extra Fees Apply—Update an address change to ensure that you're compliant with the USPS. If you want to report an NCOA change without changing the address in PDS, also select Report NCOA Changes Instead of Making the Change. NCOA processing is an add-on feature to CASS It and includes additional fees to your monthly subscription. For more information, contact a PDS solutions consultant at 1-800-892-5202.
- Geocode Addresses - Optional—If you have Geocoding, select this to update the longitude and latitude to reflect the new address. Use this data with your choice of third-party mapping software. Geocoding is an add-on feature to CASS It and includes additional fees to your monthly subscription. For more information, contact a PDS solutions consultant at 1-800-892-5202.
- Perform Zip+4 and Delivery Point Encoding—Update ZIP Codes with the additional four-digit suffix, and add the delivery point encoding.
- Perform Street Address Standardization—Remove punctuation from addresses and shorten the direction indicators and street names.
- Generate the Previous Certification File—If you don't want to run CASS It or NCOA processes, you can load the file that was created the last time you ran the process. You can then view a summary and print the forms.
- Click Begin CASS.The program certifies the addresses.
- Any addresses that failed to be certified display in the summary. Print the list for reference, and make the necessary corrections.Note: Some common errors for addresses that fail CASS certification include:
- Failed DVP because of invalid PO, RR, or HC Box number—The PO, RR, or HC box number is not valid.
- Failed DVP because of invalid primary—The primary street number does not exist.
- Primary number invalid—The primary street number does not exist.
- Street name invalid—No such street for that city and state exists.
- Primary range is missing—The street address line does not have a specific house number.
- When you're done, click Finish.