Entering Payments without Invoices
You can enter a payment without an invoice.
Occasionally, you must enter payments without invoices. If you add a payment when the customer does not have any unpaid invoices assigned to his or her record, Accounts Receivable considers the payment unapplied until you apply it to an invoice.
Unapplied payments display on the Unapplied Amount tab when viewing the payment, and you can apply these payments to invoices after you create them.
- Under Manage Records, click the Transactions tab.
- Select Accounts Receivable Payments from the drop-down list and click Go .
- Click Add/Edit Payments, then Add.
- In the Payer field, click Lookup to select a payer. The payer's address displays below the Payer field.
- In the Type drop-down list, select the payment type.
- If the payment is a check and your organization uses check scanners, click Scan Check to scan the check. Otherwise, go to the next step.
- In the Reference # field, enter the reference number for the payment. The reference number could be a check number if the payment is a check or a confirmation number if the payment is by credit card.
- Enter the Payment Amount.
- In the Receipt # field, enter the receipt number or click Next to assign the next available receipt number. If you have AR set up to auto assign receipt numbers, the receipt number automatically displays.
- Enter the Payment Description and select the Payment Date.
- Select Unapplied Amount/Invoice Wash and select Unapplied Payment in the drop-down list.
- Click OK, then click Yes to save the payment changes.